Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Running!


Hi everyone!

I (Kate) have been using the 5k trainer app since mid-January to help me  get off my butt and get in shape. I'm not a runner & never have been. I dreaded that day in PE class when we had to run a mile. And what's with the "runner's high" i keep hearing about? I think it's a myth. But I know it is a great way to burn calories quickly and get into better shape. So far I have been really good with my workouts- running using the program for at least 3 days a week, plus some walks squeezed in! What's even been more of a surprise, I haven't cheated! About half of my workouts have been at the gym, although I prefer running outside. For 4 and a half weeks I was kicking butt. Then last week happened.

I went out of town last weekend to visit my family for 3 days. I brought my running gear and had every intention to getting in a few runs.  Between giant meals and cold, wet snow, it just didn't happen. I did go to a Zumba class with my sister-in-law, and bought new running shoes, but missed 2 days of planned running. Once home, my schedule was crazy and I didn't get to the gym until Wednesday-6 days since my last run. It was tough. It was hot (not in the sexy way). I swear the gym keeps the thermostat set to 85 to trick you to believing that you're sweating buckets from your workout! Menopause is going to be so much fun (she said sarcastically!). I was breaking in new shoes. My earphones for some reason kept shocking me. I had all sorts of reasons to have a crappy workout and just throw in the towel. However I stuck with it and managed to do most of the running, with a bit of walking. Saturday morning I was back in the gym. My shoes still didn’t feel right, I was even more tired, and boy, was I hot (again, not in the sexy way). I was even more miserable than a few days before! I had been running 5 minute intervals now I could barely do 2. I came home feeling defeated.

The next day (Sunday) my buddy Ashley called, she was in need of some fresh air and exercise.  We ended up going to Three Lakes Nature Park with her 4 month old, Vivi, and her other child, Penny the highly energenic chocolate Lab.  After a good walking warm up, I decided to run with Penny. 5 minutes later- I felt okay. After a few minutes walking with Ashley and Vivi, Penny and I were off for 6 minutes. Then another 5 minutes. I'm not going to lie, the last 30 seconds of the last running interval was the longest 30 seconds of my life, but I did it, and I felt good about it…no, I felt great!  I pushed Vivi in the stroller while Ashley ran for about 5 minutes- something she hasn't done since being pregnant with Vivi! We celebrated with a cold (light) beer afterwards. I figure that's part of our training for the Hardywood Twilight 4 Miler in April!

I need to adjust my running to allow me to run outside. I enjoy it so much more and am so much more successful. Here's hoping the training keeps getting better!  Maybe I will find that “runners high” after all…HA! If you have any advice for a novice runner- please share in the comments. I can use all the advice (and encouragement) I can get!

Roscoe the cat joining us post walk- I think he wanted a beer too!

Cheers,
Kate

   
Hi- Heather here! This month I set a goal of 28 days of scrap booking, and I'm happy to say I've completed it! Check it out in She’s Crafty! Keep up the good work Kate- you are rocking it and it shows! 

We are both ready for some March Madness and we don’t mean basketball!  Crafts are in full swing, the workouts will get tougher and better; there will be a Happy Hour or two, Yea for Daylight Savings, The IrishFestival, Easter, Easter at Maymont, and the Easter Parade on Monument Avenue!  Just to name a few things March has to offer!

Cheers!
Heather

2 comments:

  1. First of all Kate, you go girl!!! Keep it up, I know you can do it. I love running now and I will tell you that a few years ago I hated it and could barely run a mile myself!!!! Question about your new shoes? Did you happen to get them a size up than you normally wear? If not, I would recommend to do so next time. I thought it was crazy when a seasoned runner told me that, but now it has helped me so much!!

    And Heather, Congrats on your scrapbooking that is awesome!!! And FYI, if you are talking about the Irish fest in churchill, you know I live right there and we can walk back n forth from my apartment for drinks or potty breaks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! It really helps to hear from former non-runners who are kicking butt! The shoes area working out now- I think they are just better outside than on the treadmill, or as I have been calling it, the dreadmill! They're about 1/4 the weight of my previous pair, so I'm hoping my feet just needed to get use to it! I did run 18 minutes (in 3 intervals) this morning, and feel pretty good about it!

      We'll definitely take you up on the Irish Festival break spot- That was a great benefit when I lived there and in Carytown- easy & clean festival bathroom access! :)

      Kate

      Delete